Initial Officer Training (IOT) at Royal Air Force College (RAFC) Cranwell is the gateway to becoming an officer in the RAF. Make sure that you purchase Initial RAF Officer Training Kit before setting off to RAF Cranwell.
Training is conducted over 6 months and includes:
- Leadership & Teamwork
- Written & Verbal Communications
- Airpower Studies
- Physical and Mental Development
The recruits that have been selected to undertake IOT must be physically fit and mentally prepared for the challenge if they wish to succeed.
Upon successful completion of the initial RAF Officer Training, a prestigious graduation parade is conducted in front of College Hall Officers’ Mess where the officer cadets march up the steps to be commissioned as officers. The graduating officers are then deemed suitably qualified to undertake their next phase of training in their chosen specialisation.
Initial RAF Officer Training Sylabus
During IOT, the officer cadets will be taught a wide range of subjects and they will become competent in various disciplines including:
- Leadership: The RAF relies upon strong and cohesive teams to achieve tasks and to look after its
- Physical Education: Through progressive and structured lessons which include cross-country running, circuits and swimming
- Air Power Studies: Which will over topics such as the law of armed conflict, ethics, international politics and Air
- Force Protection and Military Skills: Which covers a wide variety of skills including first aid, weapon handling, field craft, drill and ceremonial
Initial Officer Training will be conducted at RAFC Cranwell. The officer training is mainly carried out in in Whittle Hall which was named in honour of the inventor of the jet engine.
The officer cadets will spend the majority of the training accommodated within the College Hall Officers’ Mess.
The Officer and Aircrew Cadet Training Unit (OACTU) consists of 4 cadet squadrons.
A Squadron, is charged with training the short courses at OACTU for specialist recruits such as doctors, nurses and lawyers.
B, C and D squadrons deliver training to the IOT officer cadets who are on the 24 week course. The squadron of officer cadets is then broken down into groups of around 30 to form a flight. In charge of each flight is a Flight Lieutenant and a Flight Sergeant, who manage the day-to-day training requirements and are responsible for the welfare and duty of care of their flight.
Initial RAF Officer Training
IOT is a 24-week course comprising three, 8-week terms. The Course is delivered by experienced and highly trained RAF personnel who will challenge you intellectually, mentally, and physically.
The training aims to prepare the recruit effectively for specialist training, regardless of branch.
Term 1 Initial RAF Officer Training
The first phase is intended to effectively transition the recruit from civilian to Service life and includes:
- The issue and preparation of
- Medical and dental assessment.
- Drill and regular inspections of dress, equipment and living quarters.
- Team building activities.
- Intensive fitness
- Introduction of military skills such as weapon handling, field craft and first aid training.
- Academic elements of IOT, such as air power studies, written and verbal
- The beliefs, values and principals programme,.
Term 2 Initial RAF Officer Training
Term 2 focuses on leadership and includes:
- A week of practical leadership experiences within an adventure training environment where you practice climbing, abseiling or mountain climbing.
- Leadership development continues a more advanced practical leadership exercise with longer leads, more difficult tasks and more arduous
- Air Power Studies to educate on military doctrine, the ethics of warfare and critical analysis.
Term 3 Initial RAF Officer Training
Term 3 is intended to develop the recruit from an officer cadet to a junior officer and includes:
- The Basic Air Warfare
- The Care in Leadership
- A management
- A week of Force Development.
At the end of Term 3, a Performance Review Board will decide whether the recruit has reached the standard expected to graduate and, if successful, you will begin the start of an intensive period of graduation preparation.
Initial RAF Officer Training Kit
You can get your Initial RAF Officer Training Kit at heavily discounted prices from Supply Drop.
The RAF Officer Package holds all the essential items required in the Royal Air Force Kit list for Initial Officer Training. This pack is built around the RAF Cranwell IOT kit list. Containing 65 different products made up of 100+ items required for initial officer training at an unbeatable price.